YOLO Beav

Beaver is my name, YOLO is my game. You Only Live Once!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"

...is fantastic. Much like I reminisce about the exponential build of sound that seems neverending in the final scene of "Melancholia" that I experienced last year in the Salle de Soixantieme and the unrelenting roar of applause and ovations after the red carpet premiere of "Drive" in the Lumiere Theatre last year, the opening first few minutes of the "Beasts of the Southern Wild" has become another Cannes moment for me that I will remember fondly forever; its booming crescendo blasting through the Debussy Theatre speakers and pounding my chest as I sat in my center, orchestra seat today.


Beautifully shot on location in southern Louisiana, "Beasts" is insanely realistic in its portrayal of this rogue backwoods lifestyle you can almost feel the sticky humidity in which the characters' adventures in daily life unfold.

The main character, 'Hushpuppy,' is played by an intimidatingly talented six-year-old girl, Quenzhane Wallis, who is not only beautiful but she has a stare that can slay you. She is just the best thing ever!


The score is incredible and moving. The characters force you to engage emotionally despite a lack of dialogue as the film is more heavily filled with narration and playful games between father, daughter, and rough neck neighbors. It is just one of those movies I am SO glad I saw in a theatre so big with an audience so happy to see it. This film is a cinematic journey that reminded me of how fun good movies can be. I think it'll do big things in its Un Certain Regard competition here at Cannes (and potentially beyond)...  Enjoy it --- I did!

1 comment:

  1. aghhh I just want to know when the normal people of the world (like me this year :[ ) will get to see it. asdlkjfad

    ReplyDelete